Tuesday, February 07, 2006

So what's with the US labor movement?

I haven't heard much about the split in the AFL-CIO. This is potentially one of the biggest stories of the century in labor. The one thing I did hear (and that was some time ago) that intelligently and in detail dealt with the split told me that those who left were interested in organizing, hostile to politics and wanted a more industrial than craft structure. Sounds like the CIO, except for the hostility to political action, which sounds more like the IWW, at least after the first few years. I know this is significant, but Can't really say how.

I'm not interested in prognostication, although don't let that stop you. I am interested in finding out more about what is going on and what its significance is. It's hard to get that out of the mainstream media, so I thought I'd ask around here.

No comments: