Thursday, May 29, 2008

I met these guys a long time ago.

and I think the world of both of them, but I never knew they were connected until now.

Ammon Hennacy and Utah Phillips

Ammon was a saint. My parents introduced me to him when I was too young to know who he was, but I could tell he was important by the way all the grownups revered him. Later I read some of his books and was very impressed by the way he thought and the way he really tried to put his ideals into practice.

I met Utah Phillips much later, through the Wobblies. Or was it at a demonstration in DC? I think it was both because I kept running into him all over the place. I loved his music even more than his politics. I'll miss him a lot.

If you never knew either of these fine gentlemen, I feel sorry for you. The world is poorer without them.



No comments: